Thursday, October 05, 2006

Scribble Me This


An Absorba, a kimono, and many, many ballbands have not stilled my obsession with Mason-Dixon Knitting. So, I have moved on to the Scribble Scarf, being rendered in yet another mystery yarn from my stash—it seems to be a mixture of a kid mohair and a very thin boucle, neatly double-stranded and rolled into a workable ball. I swear I have no idea where it came from (hey, if there are yarn fairies out there repleting my stash while I sleep, I could use a bunch of Lamb’s Pride Bulky in assorted colors, OK?). The thick strand is Lion Brand Incredible, a nylon ribbon I wouldn’t ordinarily touch, but it serves its purpose very well here. The colorway is called Autumn Leaves, and combined with the mystery thin it results in a shiny, happy fabric that lends itself to regular arms-length admiration during TV commercials. And shiny, happy, light and airy is a nice change from the dense cotton of Absorba. For now, the scarf is dubbed the ALDS Scribble Scarf, hopefully to morph into the World Series Scribble Scarf (Let’s Go Yankees…thump, thump, thump thump thump).

UPDATED 10/7/06: OK, Let's Go Mets (Willie Randolph will always bleed pinstripes to me). And deep in my heart I knew this was going to happen...since 1960, the Yankees have only won the World Series when the President of the U.S. is a Democrat. Yet another thing to blame on George W. Bush. Next time, I will refrain from officially naming my Scribble Scarf until the fat lady sings.

5 comments:

AR said...

So cute! I'm going to have to go get The Book!

Splindarella said...

Ooooohhh, pretty!! If you haven't seen it, check out Debbie New's "Unexpected Knitting." That's where the Ann & Kay got the idea for scribble knitting and the pieces that Debbie has in her book are just stunning.

Unknown said...

That looks great! Thanks for your help. I'm almost through with a Branching OUt, so I'll be making a go at this soon.

Alliesw said...

It's amazing what can happen when yarns are comined--it does look great! It makes me want to re-examine my stash for some fun combos and try that scarf!

Ina said...

Hope to see you Sunday - you're on my Bingo card!