Monday, July 18, 2005

100 Things About Me

Well, I've been at this blogging thing for nearly a year now; guess it's time for the dreaded list:

1. I was born on October 18, 1953.
2. Which makes me chronologically a 51 year old woman; however, I have the mentality of an intellectually pretentious 17 year old boy.
3. I am a Native New Yorker, born and raised in the Riverton houses in Harlem, U.S.A.
4. I moved one time before I was 18, from the third floor of my apartment building to the 11th floor.
5. Not counting college, I moved 12 times from ages 18 to 30.
6. I have three children, three cats, two dogs and one husband.
7. If you Google my name, my wedding picture comes up:








8. I can't drive a car.
9. I can't make a decent pie crust.
10. I can knit in the dark.
11. I dropped out of college.
12. Thirty years later, I graduated summa cum laude.
13. If I could do anything in the world, I would be a film programmer for Turner Classic Movies.
14. However, no amount of money could convince me to leave New York for Atlanta.
15. If you asked me right now, I would say my favorite movie is Imitation of Life (the 1934 John Stahl version):








16. If you asked me tomorrow, it would probably be something else.
17. If I could bring back one television show, it would be thirtysomething.
18. If I could bring back two shows, they would be thirtysomething and Frank's Place.
19. Although I watch an inordinate amount of television, I never saw an episode of Law & Order until about six months ago.
20. Law & Order is instant gratification, but The Sopranos is worth the wait.
21. I have seen Bruce Springsteen in concert more than thirty times.
22. I have never met Bruce Springsteen, but I think I saw him early one morning in a phone booth from my window on West 12th Street.
23. My favorite Bruce Springsteen song is "Thunder Road."
24. Twenty-five years ago, I worked at Rolling Stone magazine.
25. The day I got fired from Rolling Stone, I saw John Lennon and Yoko Ono walking down 57th Street; Yoko smiled at me.
26. In 1964, I was a George girl; I later switched to Paul.
27. When George Harrison married Patti Boyd, my mother let me stay home from school.







28. I am an Admissions Director at a NYC nursery school.
29. I believe that judging preschoolers is one of the most ridiculous jobs a person can have.
30. A couple of years ago, there was a fire in our apartment building and we had to be evacuated by ladder from a six story window.
31. The fireman who saved us was named Patrick; his eyes were very blue.
32. My first boyfriend's name was Alan Young (not the guy from Mr. Ed).
33. He was stolen from me by a girl named Candy.
34. I have Sammy Davis Jr.'s autograph.
35. The most beautiful place I have ever seen is Prince Edward Island.







36. My favorite drink is a gin & tonic.
37. Eating alone in coffee shops makes me teary.
38. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.
39. I always cook the same thing: turkey with cornbread-sausage stuffing, gravy, macaroni & cheese, sweet potatoes and collard greens.
40. But my favorite Thanksgiving was during a road trip to Portsmouth, New Hampshire (where my husband spent his happiest childhood years) when the kids were so little I don't even remember how many we had and we were still spontaneous and ordered take-out from the Howard Johnson's across the street from our motel.
41. My mother legally changed her name from Anna Lois to Louise.
42. I was named after my grandmothers: my first name is a shortened version of my maternal grandmother's middle name and my middle name is a shortened version of my paternal grandmother's first name.
43. My grandmothers hated each other.
44. My father was one of the first African American mounted policemen.
45. His horse's name was Felix.
46. When I was 38, I learned that my father had been married to someone else before my mother; her name was Grace.
47. As far as I know, I am an only child.
48. My first conscious memory is a cliche--I was frightened by a clown.
49. I am convinced that living too far away from an ocean makes me mentally and physically ill.
50. If I had a million dollars, I would buy a second home in Ocean Grove, NJ (there are no mosquitoes in Ocean Grove).
51. I would name my second home House of Cards, and there would be a large dining porch and a couch in the kitchen.
52. I hate disloyalty.
53. I am allergic to fleas.
54. I don't like ice cream with stuff in it.
55. I smoke more than I admit.
56. Although I have been knitting for18 years, I have never made myself a sweater.
57. The woman who taught me to knit was named Mrs. Du Pre (this photo is not Mrs. DuPre, nor me, but a re-enactment):
















58. The first thing I knit was a tiny jumpsuit for my first-born son; it was black tweed with colored flecks.
59. August 26, 2005 will be my husband and my 20th anniversary.
60. I have never been on a vacation by myself.
61. My favorite Christmas was one I spent alone; I made myself a pizza.
62. I cry when somebody wins a car on The Price is Right.
63. I once made it to the finals of tryouts for The Weakest Link, but they never called me back.
64. My favorite word is "hilarious."
65. My favorite Simpsons episode is the one where they go to New York City (Marge: "Oooh, look at all the beautiful shoes! Too bad I already have a pair of shoes.") but they never show it anymore since 9/11.
66. My favorite all time Yankee player is Willie Randolph.
67. I've never understood Yankee fans who feel compelled to hate the Mets.
68. I was in a cab when I heard than Thurman Munson had died in a plane crash; when I looked at the cabbie's license his name was Thurman.
69. Boston sucks, but David Ortiz rocks.
70. I think David Ortiz looks like a Jack-o-Lantern, don't you?








71. I am always on time, often pathetically early.
72. The first time I went into labor I was nearly three weeks overdue; my water broke in an Indian restaurant.
73. It was several years before I could touch lamb curry, but I like it now.
74. I won't grow up.
75. I wish sometimes that VCRs had never been invented so it would be a big deal when The Wizard of Oz is on TV.
76. My favorite Lifetime made-for-TV movies are A Woman Scorned: the Betty Broderick Story and its sequel Her Final Fury: Betty Broderick, the Last Chapter.
77. I also like the one with Valerie Bertinelli where her brother-in-law kills her sister and they find out because of the special camera that makes blood turn green in the dark (I forgot the name of the movie).
78. When I ran out of inspiration for this list I used other people's lists to prompt me for ideas.
79. I fear that everyone else's list is much more interesting than mine.
80. It's too important to me that people like me.
81. Despite that, I tend to keep people at a distance; I tell myself it's because I'm an only child.
82. I can't really choose a favorite novel, but I think The Great Gatsby is the greatest one ever written.
83. I'm superstitious about throwing away photographs.
84. My husband and I collect other people's wedding pictures.















85. My heart still skips a beat when my husband walks into a room (all together now..."Awwww.")
86. I've never voted for a Republican.
87. I'm really nervous about the upcoming NYC mayoral election, because the elfin Republican incumbent seems like the best person for the job.
88. I think It's a Wonderful Life is a sham; I certainly don't remember it being a holiday tradition when I was a child.
89. I'm kind of a slob.
90. I don't know how to handle money.
91. I am very good at listening to other people's problems.
92. My first career aspiration was to be a salesgirl at Macy's; I might make it yet.
93. I don't function well in the heat.
94. I gag on some kinds of fish, and I don't like dill, but I'll eat just about anything.
95. I've had popcorn for dinner.
96. I've given my kids popcorn for lunch.
97. I wish I knew more about art history.
















98. I wish I could find comfort in religion.
99. I am so glad this list is finally over.
100. All told, I think I'm OK.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your list! And I agree, judging pre-schoolers is absurd, but it must also be fun and enlightening, I would guess.

Terri H. said...

Thanks for commenting, Beth. I can't believe someone actually took the time to read through this thing!

Anonymous said...

Great list...thanks for sharing. Meredith B. Birney scared the hell out of me in the Betty Buckly movie. I was riveted by the story and thought she should have got the death peanalty. Betty...not Meridith :)

Thansk
Wendy

Splindarella said...

Glad you posted this list - I figure if we're gonna knit together, I might as well know some more about you! *g* Happy anniversary, too; your wedding photo is beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your list. Aww...about your husband walking into a room. Thanks for the re-enactment of Mrs. Du Pre teaching knitting, that was funny! Found your blog through Knitters Review, I live in Washington Heights also.

fleegle said...

That's a fabulous list! I too am a native New Yorker, born on October 18. Alas, I moved to the mountains north of Atlanta ten years ago. Miss the City.