Sunday, April 29, 2007

Noro Keyhole Scarf (with pattern)


There's nothing like knitting a scarf to hug you when you're feeling uninspired and somewhat unloved. The problem with scarves, of course, is that you can easily get bored with them (or run out of yarn) before they reach the proper length to envelop you. My solution is a keyhole scarf, which takes less than two skeins of heavy worsted and has a clever little slot to ensure that it stays put. A 2x2 rib increases the hug factor. You could use any yarn, of course, but there's nothing like a couple of skeins of Noro Kureyon when you want the yarn to do the work for you (thanks again, Secret Pal). I also appreciate the slightly scratchy texture of the Noro here--along with the hug comes a gentle slap, reminding me to snap out of my funk. Pattern follows:
Noro Keyhole Scarf
Finished size: approx. 5" wide and 36" long
Materials: 2 skeins Noro Kureyon (50 grams, 100 meters), colorway 154 (or approximately 75 grams of any heavy worsted). US #10 (6mm) needles.
Gauge: it doesn’t matter here…just keep in mind that the ribbing pulls in quite a bit, so cast on more stitches (in an even number) if you’re a tight knitter or want a wider scarf.
Instructions: Cast on 28 sts. Work in 2 x 2 rib stitch (K2, P2 every row) for approx. 4" from beginning.

Make Keyhole
Next row: Knit 14 sts and place remaining sts on a stitch holder; maintaining pattern, work the 14 sts on the needle to a depth of approx. 2" (for me, this was 10 rows—your mileage may vary). Break yarn, leaving a weavable tail.
Next row: Place these 14 sts on a stitch holder and rejoin yarn to second group of 14 sts. Maintaining pattern, work these 14 sts to same depth as you did for the first group.

Knit On
Next row: K2, P2 across all stitches.Continue in pattern until scarf measures approximately 36" from beginning, bind off in pattern.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri that turned out beautiful! Have a great week! Your SP :)

Priya, Prior, Pyra said...

I'm somewhat of a beginner knitter but I'm learning fast and have enjoyed making a number of scarves and a hat and now am looking for a challenge but I'm really stumped by the directions for a keyhole scarf, I don't really understand using the stitch holder, I can't picture the directions in my mind and can't find any videos online (including youtube).
Can you help?

Terri H. said...

Hi Priya; I'd be happy to try to help. There are different ways of making a keyhole, but the method you're using for this scarf is: work the scarf to the point where you want your keyhole. Work the first half of the stitches and stop. Just leave the working yarn hanging there. Place the next half of the stitches on a holder (I use one that looks like a big safety pin, but you can use anything--even a spare needle--that keeps the stitches securely out of the way). Slip the stitches as if to purl one at a time onto the holder, and stop. Forget them for now. Turn your work and go back to your first half of stitches. Work only those stitches for the depth you want your keyhole, 2 inches or so, and stop. Break your yarn and place those stitches on a holder, slipping them one at a time like you did before. Go to the set of stitches waiting down there. Attach your yarn to begin a new row. You can either work the stitches directly from the holder or slip them onto a needle. Work those stitches until they are the same length as the first set. On the next row, work across the second set of stitches, then across the first set (again, either directly from the holder or slipped back onto a needle), and your scarf is back in one piece. Knit on until the scarf is the length you want it (I like around 36" for a keyhole scarf, but you can make yours longer...just start the keyhole a few inches later so it balances out).

Hope this helps...feel free to post or e-mail me (thdx333[ART]gmail[DART]com.

Diane M. Roth said...

I've made a couple of scarves with holes like this and my main problem is when I join the second half of the stitches, I don't know how to attach the yarn so it isn't loose when I begin with the second "half" of the keyhole.

There isn't anything hanging right there to attach the loose yarn to. any help for me?

Terri H. said...

Hi Diane:

When I'm done with the first set of stitches, I just reattach the yarn to the waiting set by easing the strand of yarn through the first stitch to be worked (a crochet hook helps), then making an overhand knot, and resuming my knitting. The stitch can be tightened when you weave in the ends. Hope this helps!

SanDslnrs said...

Hi this is beautiful. Do you have the pattern for a child version? I would really love to make these for my granddaughters. They're 4 and 5 years old.

Thank you,
Sandy

Terri H. said...

Hi Sandy:

Thanks. The scarf is pretty much one size fits all...if you wanted to make it a little smaller you could start out with 24 stitches (or any number divisible by two to split for the keyhole) and knit until it's as long as you want it!

SwimBekiSwim said...

Teri, thanks so much for your explanation to Priya! I was having problems understandin, too! I've gotten quite proficient at only knitting flat, square things (or rectangular!) and was ready to try stepping it up a tad but just wasn't comprehending anyone else's instructions! So thank you so much for the break-down!! =~)

KarenJ. said...

A good trick to make a nice edge for the keyhole is to slip the first stich on the keyhole edge. Gives a nice neat look to it.

Such a pretty yarn!

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is a silly questions, but when you're using a self-striping yarn, and you make the keyhole, what keeps the striping from getting out of whack?

Thanks!

Terri H. said...

Oh, there are no silly questions...since the Noro striping is relatively random, I just let the changes fall where they may. If you wanted to try to match them up, you could make up a small ball to match the color break when you reattach the stitches to finish the keyhole. Hope this makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm excited to try it. Your scarf is so beautiful!

A said...

Nice!
Astitchisastitch

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "break yarn"?

Anonymous said...

Cut the yarn, leaving a six inch tail to weave in later.

Anonymous said...

Is this size suitable for children or how can I adjust the size for kids? My 4.5year old is desperate for a scarf with my multicoloured wool I have